Witting is a familiar name in Groningen and is also known far outside this province. This renowned business has excisted since 1876.
It all started in 1876, when H. Witting and his son A. Witting founded a cap factory on oosterstraat 51 in Groningen. In the building , that dates back to 1778, quality caps, and later on also quality hats were manufactured. The headwear attracted attention because of its perfect fit. After the decease of his father, A. Witting next to the manufacture of caps and hats, focussed on the sale of fashion accessories. In the thirties of the last century, the Nissink family took over the shop from A. Witting who had been childless.
The hat shop kept wearing the name Witting because it was already very well known in a large area. Because the Nissinks’ were also childless, the shop and its inventory were sold in 1960 to former employee Arnold Frits Bakker. The present owners are two of his sons: Sietze and Arnold Frits Bakker.
Nowadays the hat and cap shop still wears the name Witting & Zn. as a tribute to the founder H. Witting, who made this name a household name with lovers of quality headwear. And today quality and a perfect fit are still a top priority.
Looking for headwear?
No need to look elsewhere!